A guide to claiming for a spinal injury

At Unite Legal Services, we understand that a spinal injury can be life-changing for the individual and their loved ones. We also know the financial impact it can have on you and your family too. That’s why our expert lawyers work hard to fight your corner and get you the maximum compensation from your claim.

To find out more about claiming for compensation through Unite Legal Services, read our frequently asked questions about spinal injury claims below.

Frequently asked questions about spinal injury claims

Can I make a spinal injury claim?

Yes. If you are suffering from a spinal injury that wasn’t your fault, Unite Legal Services can help you make a claim for compensation. Contact us on 0800 709 007 for free, expert advice and to discuss your case.

How can Unite Legal Services help?

We have a network of charities and support groups across the UK to make sure you or a non-working family member, get early access to rehabilitation. Our lawyers are accredited by the Spinal Injuries Association and are a member of its recommended legal panel in this specialist area of law.

As a Unite member, how much will it cost me to make a spinal injury claim?

It is free to make a spinal injury claim through Unite Legal Services.

How much compensation can I get from a spinal injury claim?

The amount of compensation you can expect to receive from a spinal injury claim depends on the individual’s case. When calculating your compensation, your lawyer will consider the costs of:

  • Lost earnings
  • Medical treatment
  • Rehabilitation
  • Any adaptations you need to your home.

Unlike high street lawyers who will take a deduction of your damages, you will keep 100 per cent of the compensation that Unite Legal Services secures on your behalf.

How long do I have to make a claim for spinal injury compensation?

You have three years from the date of your injury to make a claim for compensation. There are limited exceptions to the rule, so it’s best to contact Unite Legal Services as soon as possible.

Can I claim on behalf of a loved one who has suffered a spinal injury?

Yes. If you are a Unite member and a non-working family member has a spinal injury, you can make a claim on their behalf through Unite Legal Services.

What is the next step?

Call Unite Legal Services on 0800 709 007 to discuss your case. Our expert lawyers will provide you with free legal advice on making a spinal injury claim and be with you at every stage of the claim process. Alternatively, you can call your regional Unite office for more information about the legal services we offer.