A guide to claiming for HAVS and strain injuries

Repetitive strain injuries can affect muscles, nerves and tendons in any part of the body, but they most commonly affect the hands, wrists, shoulders and elbows.

Repetitive strain injuries and vibration diseases develop over time and can affect anyone who is engaged in repetitive or particularly forceful work – this can apply across all sectors.

It is your employer’s responsibility to ensure that you are given the appropriate training, protection and equipment required for you to work safely. If they have failed to do so, you may be able to make a claim for compensation.

Read this guide to find out how to make a claim for HAVS and strain injuries.

Frequently asked questions about HAVS and strain injury claims

What are the symptoms of HAVS or RSIs?

HAVS (Hand Arm Vibration Syndrome) develops as a result of frequent exposure to vibrating power tools.

Also referred to as vibration white finger, the symptoms include:

  • Numbness
  • Pain
  • Swelling
  • Tingling
  • Cold sensations in the fingers

Once you have developed HAVS symptoms, the continual use of vibration tools or machines can result in permanent pain and numbness.

As for RSIs, pain can become constant but usually occurs during a specific activity and includes conditions such as carpal tunnel syndrome, bursitis, tennis elbow, golfers' elbow, Dupuytren's contracture and tendonitis.

Can I claim for HAVS or RSI?

If you are suffering from a repetitive strain injury or vibration disease, as a result of your working conditions, then you may be entitled to make a claim.

However, as with all personal injury claims, to make an RSI claim, time limits apply; you must start the claim process within three years of when the injury first started or when you were first diagnosed. Contact us on 0800 709 007 today to discuss your case.

Do I have to pay to make a HAVS or RSI claim?

No, your Unite membership entitles you to free legal advice and representation so you don’t need to pay to make a claim.

How much compensation will I get?

The amount of compensation you will receive depends on your individual circumstances. The extent of your injuries and the impact on your life will all be taken into consideration when pursuing compensation.

Rest assured that you will always receive 100% of your compensation with Unite Legal Services and our industrial disease experts will work hard to ensure you receive the maximum amount possible.

Why should I choose Unite Legal Services?

We have a team of solicitors who specialise in industrial diseases and can help you to access suitable medical treatment including physiotherapy.

Read how we secured £10,000 in compensation for Richard, who developed Hand Arm Vibration Syndrome at work.

When you’re ready to start your claim, call us on 0800 709 007 or contact your regional Unite office for more information.